One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain – Bob Marley
The word “music” comes from the Muses, goddesses of the arts in Greek mythology. Who doesn’t like music? It can do wonders for your mood and health, it cheers you up from sadness.
Music is the greatest communication in the world. Even if people don’t understand the language that you’re singing in, they still know good music when they hear it – Bono
Here is a list of top ten amazing facts about music you would love to know and share with your friends.
Fact #1 With Music – You Learn Better
Music greatly impacts and boosts our learning capabilities. Listening music, while reading or learning something could trigger the learning and you can memorize the stuff in a better way as compared to be in complete silence.
It helps us to attain concentration and focus and this state help us to process and learn more information than usual. It helps you to motivate and perform the task more efficiently.
Fact #2 Music Powers Ups Your Workout
Music helps to improve your efficiency when you hit the gym for the workout. Different studies have given many reasons for this.
While doing workouts music acts as a distraction and thereby diverting the mind from fatigue and exertion and makes overall workout pleasurable.
Music helps to cheer up your mood. Researchers have found that music helps you to think about yourself and escape the negative thoughts and thus powers up your workout.
Read More : Top 12 Amazing Facts about The Beatles
Facts #3 Regular Music Listening Could Alter the Mind
It is a fact that brain has a wonderful ability to alter its size and conditions along with the time, the changes are related to the learning and connections between the neurons. According to a study, it is concluded that the volume of the cortex (grey matter) is highest in the professional musicians, intermediate in armature musicians and low in the non-musicians.
Read More: 7 Amazing Facts about Jim Morrison
Fact #4 The Favourite Song Selection is Linked to Emotional Mood
The top favourite song on your playlist is not your favourite because it has the beats, lyrics or the singer whom you like the most. But your favourite song is your favourite because it associates an emotional event or any memory related to the song. The whole playlist probably depicts your emotional condition or any particular occurrence or experience.
We generally like the original version of the song. This happens not because it’s better, it happens because we heard it first.
Read More: Top 10 Cool Facts about Ice Cream
Facts #5 Heartbeat Changes Along with the Musical Notes
Researchers found a very amazing fact about music that; heartbeat mimics the musical beats. Our heartbeat, blood pressure and respiration synchronize with musical beats and tempo. It could trigger the heartbeat, blood pressure and nerve contraction and relaxation along with it.
In short, we can conclude that our whole body reacts to the music to the greater level. Whether it is about the physical or psychological; the music does have a great effect on you.
Facts #6 Music Affects the Way You Perceive the World
Music and our moods are very closely related. It helps us to change our mood, increase our focus and even motivates us.
Researchers at the University of Groningen have found that listening to any particular type of music or song whether happy or sad could change the way one sees the world. It not only affects your mood in general but also affects your perception also.
Read More: Top 18 Interesting Facts about Steve Jobs
Fact #7 Life Expectancy
A very disturbing fact revealed by the study of a Sydney-based university that Pop and rock stars die very young as compared to average general people.
The study deduced that musicians die up to 25 younger than average general people. They also found that musicians and rock stars have 10 times greater chances of death by accident, suicide and homicide.
Rock stars average life expectancy is almost same as of Zimbabweans, which happens to be lowest on the earth.
Fact #8 Costliest Music Instruments
In 2011, the Lady Blunt Stradivarius violin was sold for a record price of US$15.9 million. It holds the world record of the most expensive musical instrument.
This Violin was auctioned by the Nippon Music Foundation to raise money for Japanese earthquake and tsunami victims.
World’s one of most successful electric guitar Telecaster and Stratocaster were invented by Leo Fender. But he couldn’t play the guitar himself. He was not a musician, he was an engineer. So he had to call musicians to test his prototypes.
Fact #9 Metallica
Metallica got their name listed in the Guinness book of world records for playing on all the seven continents. They are the first and only band to do so.
Metallica set this record after they performed at Carlini Station, Antarctica in front of 120 scientists and some competition winners.
Read More: Top 10 Interesting Facts about Internet
Fact #10 Music Therapy
Music is the best exercise for the brain and activates every part of the brain. Music therapy is being used from last so many years to treat different neurological conditions and it has proved to be very helpful.
It is widely used to help patients with Parkinson and Alzheimer. It can also help patients recall personal memories, fight depression and anxiety.
Read More: Top 50 Weird Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
Some More Bizarre and Random Facts about Music
- Songs that get stuck in your head are called earworms and the best way to get rid of it is to get a new one stuck in there.
- Researchers at the University of Leicester found that cows produce 3% more milk when they listen to relaxing music.
- Scientist in South Korea proved that playing music, especially classical to plants helps them grow faster.
- It is a well-proven fact that loud music increases the speed of drinking and the amount of alcohol intake at the bar.
- ‘Jimi Hendrix’ and ‘The Beatles’ couldn’t read or write music.
- Britney Spears hit songs like Oops! I Did It Again and Baby One More Time is used by British Navy to scare off Somali pirates.
- In 2015, Canadian Astronaut Chris Hadfield announced the release of his first album of songs recorded entirely in the space.
- Benjamin Franklin invented his own harmonica and it became so famous in Europe that Mozart and Beethoven composed music for it.
- Finland has more heavy metal bands per capita than any other country in the world. Finland is followed by Sweden and Norway. It’s very strange that US and UK where most of the metal music and bands started fared very low compared to Finland and even Sweden and Norway.
- In 1994, on New Year’s Eve, rock superstar Rod Stewart performed at the largest ever free rock concert at Copacabana beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The concert attracted a .massive audience of 4.2 million people.
- Queen, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix and Tupac never won a Grammy, while Milli Vanilli and Justin Bieber did.
- The Spice Girls “Wannabe” is the catchiest pop song since the 1940s. An average listener just took 2.29 seconds to recognize it making it the easiest song to recognize; according to an online test called “Hooked on Music”
- During early days of modern Olympic Games from 1912 to 1948 painters, sculptors, writers and musicians battled for gold, silver and bronze. Music, painting, poetry, literature and architecture all used to be a part of modern Olympic Games.